BEST Youth Employment - Management Services
BEST Youth Employment
YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMS - BEST
Burbank's BEST Program hires high school and college students ages 18 to 21 and places them at local businesses or non-profit organizations to gain hands-on work experience, valuable job training, real world knowledge, and experience to add to their resume.
The BEST Program places students in worksites that match their individual career interests. In addition to on the job training, BEST students attend bi-weekly trainings in which they receive the opportunity to do community outreach, fundraising, marketing/research, special departmental projects, etc.
Students who complete the BEST Program receive:
- A complete career portfolio including:
- Professional resume
- Cover letter
- Reference page
- Letters of recommendation
- Professional goals
- Sample of work
- Thank you letter
- An interviewing opportunity with a local business or non-profit organization
- Evaluation and constructive feedback from Youth Employment staff
- Effective team working skills
- Public Speaking skills
- Money management and budgeting training
- BEST Program, certificate of completion, signed by the Mayor of Burbank
- Automatic eligibility for membership to the Burbank City Federal Credit Union and will receive training on how to enroll/information on Independent Advantage Program
- 1000 hours or one year of PAID WORK EXPERIENCE
- Professional relationships with peers, local business owners and Youth Employment Officials
- Spring (February), Summer (June), and Fall (October)
- Mandatory training with the Youth Employment Office:
- Spring and fall sessions: Mandatory training every-other Thursday afternoon (after school).
- Summer session: Mandatory training every-other Friday morning.
- Hands-on work experience with a local business/non-profit organization
- Flexible scheduling around school only.
- Students must be able to commit at least 10-15 hours per work week.
- Applicants must be between 18-21 years of age by the start of the programs.
- Prior work experience required
- Applicants must answer a supplemental questionnaire along with the online application
- Applicants must attach the following items with the online application:
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Applicants must commit to the full year to participate in the BEST Program. Scheduled training and work days are mandatory in order to gain a well-rounded experience with The City of Burbank.
How to Apply
- Applications available 4-5 months online prior to each session.
- Visit the City of Burbank website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burbankca
- Click on the “Employment” link on the top right-hand corner of our website
- Click on “Youth Services Worker – BEST Program” job link
- Click on apply
- Log in or create an account with the City of Burbank
- Interviews for the BEST Program are a competitive process and are held two months prior to each session.
- Students who meet program requirements and submit a complete application along with the appropriate attachments will be notified of interview appointment by phone.
- Students are to prepare for an oral interview as well as a written examination.
- If required documents are not attached along with a completed online application, applicant will be automatically disqualified.
For questions, please call the Youth Employment Office: (818) 238-5324.